Get ready, streamers! Netflix is now more affordable than ever to South African residents as the streaming giant launches an exciting new mobile plan priced at R49/pm.
“After several months of testing, we’re excited to launch a new mobile plan in South Africa at R49 per month. This plan will make it even easier for anyone with a smartphone to enjoy Netflix. At home or on the go, now more people can watch all the shows and movies Netflix has to offer, wherever and whenever they want,” a Netflix spokesperson confirmed.
Top things to know about the mobile plan:
- The mobile plan can be accessed on a tablet or a smartphone. And allows one stream in SD (520p). This means, at one time, only one device can play it.
- Members who subscribe to the mobile plan will have the same access to the entire Netflix catalogue available in Africa.
- You can still have up to 5 different Profiles on the mobile plan. However, you can only stream only on one device at a time.
- There are no ads, and you get all episodes at once, just like you get with all of our existing plans.
- Mobile plan users will have access to the same catalogue and all mobile features—Smart Downloads, adaptive UI, 5 profiles, profile PINs, maturity settings—like they do on existing plans.
Other Netflix innovations to make the best mobile streaming experience!
Netflix has constantly been working to make the experience great for our members on mobile devices, with key innovations:
- Adaptive Bitrate: which intelligently makes streaming efficient, using less mobile data for more hours of Netflix: up to ~6.5hrs on 1GB.
- Smart Downloads: Downloads on phone and tablet were already useful. But when you enable Smart Downloads, it downloads the next episode over Wi-Fi and deletes the one you’ve seen. So you’re always ready to watch.
- Adaptive Android UI: Which optimises the Netflix app intelligently for entry-level Android phones [with sub-1GB RAM].
- Sharing Instagram Stories: The joy of entertainment is in sharing with your friends. So you can let your social media feed know what you enjoyed on Netflix.
We want to give consumers choice and control:
Different people have different entertainment preferences. Some want Ultra HD and the ability to stream on four screens at once. Some only watch movies and shows on their phone. Adding a mobile plan gives consumers more choice no matter what their budget or requirements.
The four price tiers in South Africa now are:
- Mobile: R49/month
- Basic: R99/month
- Standard: R139/month
- Premium: R169/month